- You cannot defend properly unless you remember the bidding.
- You cannot defend properly unless you watch the cards, particularly the little fellows.
- You cannot expect your partner to defend properly if you make faces or show other signs of disapproval.
- Keep one goal in mind: DEFEATING THE CONTRACT. Do not worry about overtricks unless you are defending a doubled contract.
- The figure to focus on during the defence is the number of tricks you need at any given moment to defeat the contract. Defence is based on this figure.
- A player who hesitates during the bidding is likely to have a problem hand. Keep the hesitation in mind.
- Give your opening lead much consideration. The fate of many a contract is determined by that one card. Use the bidding as a guide.